Pulang Lupa in Verse

As remembered as being taught in school, Laon Mogpog

Sa bundok ng mapulang lupa Doon sila naglaban alipapa. Amerikano'y nakulong nabigla,
ang Kapitan ay nangayupapa. Ang sundalo ng ating guerilla ay nagpakitang tapang at liksi
nila sa katunayan ay kanilang nakuha trumpeta't, kombo,pusil at bandila.

English translation

On the Hills of the Red Soil There, they fought a battle The Americans were cornered,
surprised The captain became helpless.  The soldiers of our infantry showed their courage
and speed In fact they were able to confiscate their trumpets, drums, guns and flag

Titik at Musika: ELI J. OBLIGACION

May isang kahapong nagdaan Kasaysayang di malilimutan 'Sang kahapong di maiwawaksi
Diwang Pilipino'y naisilang.

May isang kahapong nagdaan Kasaysayang di mallimutan May kahapng di maitatanggi Ang
kahulugan ay Tagumpay ng Lahi.

Sa Pulang Lupa, kawal na bayani Gubat ay tinahak ng buong sidhi Ang mahal sa Buhay,
inalo't iniwan Nang ipagtanggol ang ating bayan.

Dito nga namuno si Kapitan Abad Kapitang namuno ng buong lakas At naging kasama si
Kang Alapaap Siya na mapusok at puso'y marahas.

Isang madaling araw Sa buwan ng Setyembre Sinagupa nila ang kaaway Sa gitna ng

(Mga Hiyaw/Mga putok ng  baril/riple/Mga Tambol/Simbal)

At dahan-dahang nagapi ang kaaway Kahit kay lakas pa ng dalang armas Ang dugo sa lupa,
na di na rin mahupa Ang nagbigay lakas sa kanila diwa.

At pagsapit ng hapon Naganap ang pag-urong 'Merikano'y tuluyang sumuko Sa gerilyerong

Labanan sa Pulang Lupa ay walang nakapigil At damdaming makabayan ay nagising Nang
di magpatuloy ang likong landas Ng dayuhang mapang-api

Di ko na malilimutan sa 'king isip Pulang Lupa ay hindi mawawaglit.

(Uulitin ang Koro hanggang sa "likong landas")

At sa oras na mangailangan ng Lakas ng puso at tapang pa Pulang Lupa's aawitin ko!
Aawitin ko! Aawitin ko!     


Words and Music: ELI J. OBLIGACION

There's a yesterday gone by With a story that couldn't be forgotten One yesterday that
couldn't disavowed be When the Filipino Spirit was born.

There's a yesterday gone by With a story that couldn't be forgotten A yesterday that coudn't
be denied For it spelled Victory for the Race.

At Pulang Lupa, our heroic soldiers Forests they trod with all their might Loved ones, they
comforted and left behind To defend our Land.

And there took charge Kapitan Abad A Kapitan who led with all strength And with him was
Kang Alapaap He who was fierce, and with a heart violent.

One break of day In the moon of September They attacked the enemy In the midst of the
mountain range.


And slowly, slowly defeated was the enemy Even with the stronger arms he held Blood
dropped aground and couldn't be stopped That gave strength to ther Spirit.

And then in the afternoon There transpired the retreat 'Mericans couldn't but surrender To
the guerrilla leader.

Battle at Pulang Lupa, none could stop it And the Spirit of Nationalism came out of sleep.
That the bent ways would cease Of the stranger oppressive.

No longer could I cast away from memory Pulang Lupa shall ne'er be lost.

(Repeat Refrain up to "bent ways would cease")

And when time comes that I shall need Strength of Heart and Courage Of Pulang Lupa I shall
sing! I shall sing! I shall sing!

Many thanks to Eli for providing this song and other information about
Pulang Lupa.  
this page I have combined the 1901 U.S. War Department's
Report of the Lieutenant General Commanding the Army, Andrew
Birtle's "The U.S. Army's Pacification of Marinduque"  American
newspapers, Captain Devereux Shields own report and
Marinduque historian Ramon M Madrigal account to give a more
integrated look at the battle.  Where possible I have included
photos of the participants.

Please visit the other links as the story of Pulang Lupa goes on
well after just the battle.
The Battle as covered in American Newspapers
NEWARK DAILY ADVOCATE. September 28  New Jersey

CAPTURE Of Capt. Shields and 51 men by Insurgents.  Washington, Sept. 28.
General Macarthur today cables reporting the probable capture by the insurgents of Captain Shields and 51
men of the 29th Volunteer infantry. His dispatch reads as follows: Manilla, Sept. 28.  Adjutant General,
Washington: Sept. 11, Captain Devereux Shields, 51 men, company F, 29th regiment U.S. V. Infantry, one
hospital corps man left Santa Cruz Marinduque by gunboat Villalobos for Torijos intending return overland
Santa Cruz. Have heard nothing since from Shields.  Scarcely doubt entire party captured with many killed,
wounded; Shields among latter; information sent by commanding officer Boac, dated Sept. 20, received
Sept. 24, consisted of rumors through natives. Yorktown and two gunboats George S. Anderson, colonel,
38th Volunteer; two companies 28th Volunteer infantry sent to Marinduque immediately. Anderson confirms
first report as to capture but unable, Sept. 27, to give details present whereabouts Shields, and party or
names killed and wounded. This information probably available soon. Anderson has orders commence
operation immediately and move relentlessly until Shields and party rescued. All troops expected soon.
Logan will be sent Marinduque if necessary clear up situation.

Final Fate of American Force Under Captain Shields Unknown.
Washington, Sept. 20.—The war department has received the following cablegram from General MacArthur,
dated Manila. Sept. 28- "Sept. 11.—Captain Devereux Shields, 51 men Company F, Twenty-ninth regiment,
United States volunteer infantry, one hospital corps man left Santa Cruz, Marinduque, by gunboat Villalobos
for Toriijos, intending to return overland to Santa Cruz. Have heard nothing since from Shields. Scarcely
doubt entire party captured, with many lulled and wounded, Shields among latter. Information sent by letter
from commanding officer at Boac, dated 20th, received Sept. 21, consisted of rumors through natives.
Yorktown and two gunboats, George S. Anderson, Colonel Thirty-eighth Volunteer infantry, two companies
Thirty-eight volunteer infantry sent Marinduque immediately.  Anderson confirms first report as to capture, but
unable Sept 27 to give details present whereabouts, Shields and party, names killed and wounded. This
information probably available soon.  

Anderson has orders to commence operations immediately and move relentlessly until Shields and party are
rescued. All troops expected soon.   Logan will be sent to Marinduque if necessary to clear up situation.

The Twenty-ninth infantry was recruited at Fort McPherson, Atlanta.  Captain Shields was lieutenant colonel
of the Second Mississippi during the Spanish war. He was made captain in the Twenty-ninth infantry July 5,
1899. He was a resident of Natchez, Miss, where his wife now resides.  

The scene of this latest reverse is a small island Iyjng due south of the southern coast of Luzon and about 300
miles from Manila.  Marinduque is about 24 miles in diameter and was commanded by two small
detachments of United States troops.  One of these was at Boac, on the west coast of the island and the
other was at Santa Cruz, the principal port on the north side.  Captain Shields appears to have started from
Santa Cruz on a gunboat for Torijjos a small coast port, and it is inferred that the boat, as well as the body of
troops under that officer has been captured for the dispatch makes no mention of their return.  
Americans Fought Until Ammunition Was Exhausted and Then Surrendered.  Manila via Hong
Kong, Oct. 2.
Persistent native reports, which are generally believed, have been current in Manila for several days to the
effect that Captain Shields and company F of the Twenty-ninth regiment of infantry, consisting of 54 men,
stationed at Boac, Marinduque Island, embarked Sept. I2 on the gunboat Villalobos and landed on the
Marinduque coast Sept.  14, where 300 of the enemy, armed with rifles, supposedly from Luzon, surprised
the Americans. The latter fought for several hours, until their ammunition was exhausted, after which the
Americans were overpowered and surrendered, relief being Impossible, after at least four of the soldiers had
been killed among them, according to reports, was Captain Shields. The Americans also had several
wounded.   Lieutenants Reeves and Bates of the staff, on board the gunboat Yorktown, left Manila Monday.
After gathering troops at Batangas they proceeded to Marinduque to verify the reports regarding the fate of
Captain Shields and his men, and, in case the native rumors were well founded, to punish the rebels and
release the captives. News from this expedition is awaited with some anxiety at Manila. In, the meanwhile the
censor prohibits the transmission of news concerning the affair.  Colonel Edward E. Hardin of the
Twenty-ninth regiment, who is now at Manila, admits it is possible that the native reports may be correct.
Idaho Daily Statesman, The | 1900-10-17

List of killed and wounded on the island of Marinduque
Washington Oct 16
Following is General Macarthur’s casualty list in Captain Shields' command on the island of Marinduque:
Killed—September 13, Twenty-ninth regiment United States Volunteer Infantry William Andrews, Elmer
Ruarare, Erwin Niles,   September 18 Frank Weighand Wounded September 13  Captain Devereux Shields
neck, mouth and shoulder, serious; Lieutenant S Colvin hip slight; Robert D. Jackson cheek slight; Oliver G.
Johnson head slight arm serious; John B. Pole head slight; John Chew head and wrist slight, shoulder
On 11 September, Shields decided to take advantage of a visit by the gunboat U.S.S. Villalobos. Leaving
Lieutenant Wilson and forty-one men to hold Santa Cruz, he loaded fifty-one enlisted men, a hospital
corps-man, and his black servant onto the gunboat and sailed to Torrijos, disembarking that evening. The
next day he had his first contact with insurgent forces since his company had been on the island,
dispersing a band of twenty guerrillas and destroying their cuartel.

On the thirteenth, Shields led his detachment into the mountains with the intention of returning to Santa
Cruz. Well informed about Shields's movements, Abad had concentrated nearly his entire force of
approximately 250 riflemen and 2,000 bolomen along a steep ridge overlooking the trail. Shields walked
right into the ambush. A fire fight ensued for several hours before Shields ordered a retreat into a covered
ravine. What began as a slow withdrawal quickly turned into a race down a rocky stream bed, as the
Americans scrambled to escape the pincers that were moving to surround them. After retreating for about
three and a half miles, the beleaguered detachment entered a rice field near the barrio of Massiquisie.
Here renewed enemy fire forced the Americans to take cover behind some paddy dikes. Shields fell
seriously wounded.

After ordering that a message be passed to the senior NGO, Sergeant James A. Gwynne, to lead the
command out of the closing trap, Shields raised a white flag to surrender himself and the other wounded.
The insurgents thought the flag meant that the command was surrendering. So too did Gwynne, who later
claimed never to have received the escape order, and thus the entire force lay down its arms. All told, the
Insurgents killed four Americans and captured fifty, six of whom, including Shields, were wounded. Shields
later claimed that the Filipinos lost thirty dead, though this number was never confirmed. After months of
hiding, Abad in a few short hours had destroyed nearly a third of the entire American garrison on
The Adjutant General,
Department of Southern Luzon,
Manila, P. I.


I have the honor, in compliance with the request of the Department Commander, to submit the following
report of an engagement with the enemy on Marinduque Island September 13th 1900.

On September 11th 1900, with fifty-one enlisted men of Company F, 29th Infantry, and one private of the
Hospital Corps, U.S. Army, I left my station at Santa Cruz at 12:30 p.m. on the U.S.S. “Villalobos” and
proceeded to Torrijos, a small town twenty-five miles distant, where we arrived at 3:30 p.m., disembarking
without opposition.

I spent the night at Torrijos and, on the morning of September 12th, made a reconnoissance some five or
six miles eastward over a mountain trail.  During this march we discovered a band of guerillas about twenty
strong at a distance of about one thousand yards upon whom I opened fire and advanced, on, but the
character of the country prevented a successful pursuit.  The guerillas did not return my fire although all
were well armed. Shortly after this I burned their garrison and a large quantity of rice, and finding letters and
other evidences of two American soldiers the insurgents had captured in a recent engagement with
Company A, 29th Infantry, I made an unsuccessful effort to locate them.

I then returned to Torrijos where I remained until 2:25 a.m. September 13th at which hour I took a mountain
trail leading to Santa Cruz with the intention of returning to my station. At 5:30 a.m. after a difficult and trying
march of three hours in the mountains, when about fourteen miles from Santa Cruz, my advance guard
discovered what was believed to be an insurgent outpost upon which they fired. The enemy proved to be
lying in ambush and immediately opened up a heavy fire from a position about three hundred yards above
and extending in an arc of about 180 o around us. Finding myself entirely surrounded and largely
outnumbered I took the best position available until I could select a safe retreat; I held this position for
about two hours during which time three privates were killed and two wounded slightly and myself wounded
in the left shoulder while two corporals had fallen out from heat prostration.

About 7:30 a.m. I ordered a slow retreat instructing Corporal McCarthy to bring up the rear, with the
disabled and wounded. I took a northeast course leading to the valley down a rocky gully well protected by
a light woods of small trees on each side. The banks of the gully afforded excellent protection from the
enemy’s fire. The enemy did not close in upon me after I gained this cover but continued to fire from a
distance. I replied to this fire whenever I could locate their position.

Shortly after beginning this retreat one private was wounded. At this time three of my men were dead and
seven missing, leaving my total strength at forty-two including the wounded and sick.

It was necessary to move cautiously and slowly so my flankers could keep informed of the enemy’s
movements, and the exhaustion of my men at onetime necessitated a halt of one hour when I made an
equal distribution of ammunition giving each man forty rounds.

Finding that the enemy was moving to the north to intercept my retreat to Santa Cruz and slowly closing in
on my right flank and rear, I was compelled to move rapidly. It now became necessary to march in a brook
which gradually increased in width and depth and ran over an extremely rocky bed, the retreat proved very
severe and it was with difficulty that I kept up being very weak from loss of blood.

Corporals McCarthy, Williams and Maxwell, and Privates Johnson, Weigand and Kraft were now some
distance in the rear leaving me thirty-six men one of whom had fallen and broken both arms and the
hospital private being armed with a revolver only left my effective strength at thirty-four.

After a retreat of about three and one-half miles we reached the valley where the water course widened
into a small stream. I then moved to the north through rice fields. This course lead directly to Massiquisie, a
small village about two miles distant; from which place I would have had a much better country to retreat
through. After I had proceeded about a quarter of a mile the enemy opened fire from entrenchments on the
left and from some small hills on my right flank to which I replied successfully diminishing their fire.

At this important moment I was again wounded the bullet passing through my neck and mouth. I fell forward
and a few moments later upon recovering consciousness and calling for assistance I was lifted out of the
water and borne about one hundred yards by Privates Ilitz, Hospital Corps, and Robert D. Jackson, Henry
McDaniel, Frederick Mass and Webster Cassell, Company F, 29th Infantry. An improvised litter was then
made by these men upon which I was carried a hundred yards farther. I told Sergeant Woodward, who
passed by me at this time, that they must cut their way through to Santa Cruz which he states he
immediately transmitted to Sergeant Gwynne, the ranking sergeant

Recognizing that I was an impediment to the column, I instructed my men to place me under cover of a rice
dyke. I then repeated to Private Ilitz the order I had given Sergeant Woodward telling him to send word to
the sergeant to take command and leave me on the field. I then instructed Ilitz to remain with me as my
wounds did not seem fatal and I believed the wounded who were now cut off would be captured and need
attention also.

As the enemy continued to fire upon me I instructed Ilitz to put up a flag of truce for our protection. For this
purpose he used a triangular bandage from a first aid package, but after two shots entered the dyke above
me and several passed through the flag I ordered it removed.

About this time Private Ilitz reported that Sergeant Gwynne reported that he was entirely surrounded and
wished to know what he should do. For the third time I ordered him to proceed to Santa Cruz. I was
growing weaker every moment from my last wound which had not been bandaged, lying on my back and
unable to move I was absolutely helpless.

About fifteen minutes after my last order the firing ceased and I heard the shouts of the enemy in great
numbers very near me. Soon I was told that the sergeant had surrendered and several of my men in the
hands of the enemy were marched by me. I was threatened with death by several of the enemy some of
whom began to rob me of my clothing and personal effects.

Nine of my men succeeded in cutting through the enemy’s lines and eight of them reached a swamp near
the sea shore but were captured about six o’clock in the afternoon. Private Shew who was in this party
received two slight bolo wounds and two severe bolo wounds. Private Poole, who in some way got
separated from this party, was captured the same afternoon after receiving two slight bolo wounds.

The total number who were surrendered by Sergeant Gwynne was twenty-seven men, himself included, at
about two o”clock in the afternoon.

Private Johnson who had been wounded early in the morning and was out off from the column was
captured September 15th after receiving a severe bolo wound in the left forearm.

Private Kraft who had been cut off from the column was captured about midnight September 14th after
getting within about five miles of Santa Cruz.

During the afternoon of September 13th the seven men who were missing united with Corporal McCarthy
making a total of eleven men. Private Weigand who was in this party was killed in the afternoon of
September 14th and the same evening the remaining ten men were captured.

The number of the enemy engaged I estimate from 225 to 250 armed with rifles and 2,000 armed with
bolos. The number of his killed counted by my men after capture was 30 though I believe he suffered a
heavier loss. I am unable to estimate the number of his wounded.

The enemy’s rifle-men were closely supported by his bolo-men and I could not reduce his fire as the rifles
of the killed and wounded were at once put back into action. The enemy was aggressive and maintained
good discipline throughout the engagement.

Recommendations for medals of honor will be made for the following-named men for bearing wounded
from the field under fire: Private Michael Ilitz, Hospital Corps, U.S.Army; and Privates Repard
B. Caswell, Robert D. Jackson, Frederick Mass, Henry McDaniel and Webster Cassell, Company F, 29th

Recommendations for certificates of merit will be made for the following-named men for exceptional
gallantry in action: Corporals Curtis E. Lowe and Thomas C. Williams, and Privates Juan B. Poole, Toliver
G. Johnson and John Shew, Company F, 29th Infantry.

The loss in killed and wounded is as follows:


Private     William R. Andrews         Company F, 29th Infantry, U.S.V.
“                Elmore E. Murray                        “                ”                “
“                Erwin Niles                                  “                 ”               “
“                Frank Weigand                           “                ”                “


Captain     Devereux Shields           Company F, 29th Infantry, U.S.V.
Private      Toliver G. Johnson                     "                "                  "       
”                 Livious S. Colvin                        "                "                   "
”                 Juan B. Poole                             "                "                  "
”                 John Shew                                  "                "                  "            
”                 Robert D. Jackson                     "                "                  "      

Very respectfully,

Devereux Shields

Captain 29th Infantry, U.S.Volunteers.
Lt. Col. Maximo Abad
Captain Devereux Shields
Bugarin          Camantique             Malajacon                Rogue
            Marinduque Revolutionary Forces
From the article Marinduque - It's Role in the Wars for
Independence by Ramon M Madrigal
Sketch of the Battle of Pulang Lupa as told by Captain Shields
Order of Battle

Philippine Forces under command of Colonel Maximo Abad

1st Guerrillia Unit  from Gasan
2nd Guerrilia Unit from Boac & Mogpog (not initially involved in the battle, had been deployed
near Santa Cruz to cut off any U.S. drive towards Pulang Lupa)
3rd Guerrilla Unit from Santa Cruz
4th Guerrilla Unit from Torrijos

1 - Colonel
3 - Captains
2 - 1st Lieutenant
9 - 2nd Lieutenants
500 men minus the 125 men of the 2nd Guerrilla Unit

These 4 units were formed on May 6th 1900 by Colonel Maximo Abad from the original
Infantry Battalion which had been transformed into two Infantry Companies in February 1899.

80 Mausers
50 Remington guns
6 rifles
4 shotguns
30 mini guns
2 captured Krag Rifles

Militia Battalion
1 - Major
5 - Captains
5 - 1st Lieutenants
10 - 2nd Lieutenants
500 men – minus those still at outposts

The Militia Battalion was organized in 1898 by the Spanish Governor Augustin and later
defected to Aguinaldo.  The Militia men were assigned to do sentinel work.  It is not recorded
as to the amount of guns that the Militia had at their disposal but had to be considerably less
than the Infantry units which got the bulk of firearms.

American Forces under the command of Captain Devereux Shields

29th Infantry, Company F, U.S. Volunteers
1 – Captain
2 – Sergeants
3 – Corporals
46 – Privates
1 – Hospital Corpsman (Private)
1 – Servant Unarmed
51 Krag Rifles
3 pistols
400 rounds @ mid battle

Killed and wounded is as follows:


Private     William R. Andrews         Company F, 29th Infantry, U.S.V.
“                Elmore E. Murray                        “                ”                “
“                Erwin Niles                                  “                 ”               “
“                Frank Weigand                           “                ”                “


Captain     Devereux Shields           Company F, 29th Infantry, U.S.V.
Private      Toliver G. Johnson                     "                "                  "       
”                 Livious S. Colvin                        "                "                   "
”                 Juan B. Poole                             "                "                  "
”                 John Shew                                  "                "                  "            
”                 Robert D. Jackson                     "                "                  "      

Early September 1900

Chief of the Revolutionary Force in Marinduque, Colonel Maximo Abad moves the
Revolutionary Force to Pulang Lupa.  He has men from the 1st, 3rd and 4th  
Guerrilla units there.  He places his Militia Battalion in all directions, arranged in
groups at strategic points around the mountains acting as sentinels.   Abad places
the 2nd Guerrilla unit at the Barrio of Balagasan expecting an American attack from
Santa Cruz.

September 11

12:30 P.M. - Captain Shields and 52 men of Company F of the 29th U.S.
Volunteers take the gunboat U.S.S. Villalobos from Santa Cruz to Torrijos.

3:30 P.M. – They arrive in Torrijos.

September 12

Morning – Five miles from Torrijos on a mountain trail, Shields has his first contact
with one of Abad’s outposts. He disperses twenty guerrillas, capturing and
wounding none.  Shields finds written evidence that the American soldiers the
insurgents had captured in a recent engagement with Company A, 29th Infantry
may have been with the group.  Shields does not follow the guerrillas but returns to

September 13

2:25 A.M.  Shields breaks camp and leaves Torrijos by foot with the intention of
returning to Santa Cruz.   Shields takes a mountain trail to the Northeast of town.
One of the Militia outposts notices the departure and the word is passed up the
trail to Abad.

3:30 A.M. Abad begins to deploy his men along the hillside in preparation for an
ambush.  Militia outposts are called back.

5:30 A.M. – Shields approaches the top of the hill and is fired upon from above the
trail by the 1st Guerrilla Units.  The Battle of Pulang Lupa has started.   Shields is
forced downwards off the trail, takes cover and fires back.  

6:00 A.M. – The 3nd and 4th Guerrilla Units start firing from both sides of Shields’
position on the hill.  Bolomen of the Militia make a 180 degree run between all three
Guerrilla Units shouting and yelling to confuse Shields into thinking there is a much
larger force in the hills.  Despite attempts by Shields to charge back up the hill, he
has to fall back.  Sometime during the early part of the battle, Shields would report
that three privates were killed and two wounded slightly and he was wounded in
the left shoulder while two corporals had fallen out from heat prostration.

7:30 A.M. - Shields orders a slow retreat from the hill leading to the valley down a
rocky gully.  Abad’s forces do not close in on Shields but follow and harass him
with gunfire.

8:00 A.M. - Another private was wounded. Shields lists three men were dead and
seven missing, leaving his total strength at forty-two including the wounded and sick.

10:00 A.M.  Exhaustion of Shields’ men necessitate a half hour halt.  Equal
distribution of remaining ammunition gives each man forty rounds.

12:00 P.M. - Shields reaches the valley floor and moves North via a small stream
through the rice fields intending to reach Massiquisie. He was weak from loss of
blood, and his men are scattered in front and in back of him.   Abad’s three
Guerrilla Units and the Militia forces which had followed Shields down the hill now
start flanking maneuvers.

12:15 P.M. - After proceeding a quarter of a mile in the stream bed, on his right
flank, Shields was again wounded. The bullet passed through his neck and mouth.
He falls into the stream unconsciousness. He is lifted out of the water and moved
about two hundred yards further along the stream bed.

12:45 P.M. – Shields, after regaining consciousness, orders Sergeant Woodward
to cut their way through to Santa Cruz.  Woodard transmits this order to Sergeant
Gwynne, the ranking sergeant.

1:00 P.M. - Shields instructs his men to place him under cover of a rice dyke. He
repeats the order he had given to Sergeant Woodard to Private Ilitz telling him to
send word to the sergeant to take command and leave Shields in the field.

1:30 P.M. - Shields orders Private Ilitz to put up a flag of truce but removes it after
firing continues.   

1:45 P.M. - Sergeant Gwynne reports he was entirely surrounded.

2:00 P.M. - The firing stops.  Shields is informed that Gwynne had surrendered.  
Shields is captured as well as most of his company.

4:00 P.M. - Private Poole, who in some way got separated from others, is
captured  after receiving two slight bolo wounds.

6:00 P.M. - Eight of the men who succeeded in cutting through the lines reached a
swamp near the sea shore but are captured.

September 14th

Midnight - Private Kraft who had been cut off from the column was captured after
getting within about five miles of Santa Cruz.

Private Weigand is killed sometime during the day and in the evening a group of
additional ten men were captured.

Late afternoon in Santa Cruz, Lt. Wilson who had been left in charge by Shields,
alarmed by threatening attitude of the natives, transfers his men and supplies to the
church in Santa Cruz.  (Lt. Wilson had no idea of the battle at Pulang Lupa).  
Members of the Militia take positions in the hills surrounding Santa Cruz and harass
the Americans with gunfire when possible.

September 15th

Private Johnson who had been wounded early in the morning  of the 13th and was
cut off from the column was captured after receiving a severe bolo wound in the
left forearm.

9:30 P.M. - A fire is discovered in at one of the commissary storehouses at Santa
Cruz.  The fire consumes all but two buildings being used by the 29th.  About
15,000 lbs of bacon and other supplies are destroyed.

10:30 P.M. The Presidente of Santa Cruz (who had been friendly to the Americans)
is assassinated in the main street not far from the church.  His 15 year old son who
was wounded was rescued by the troops.

September 20th   

Lt. Wilson in Santa Cruz finally hears of the Battle of Pulang Lupa.