|The 66th FW commander Gen. Murray Woodbury (to which the 78th was assigned) had an old B-17F at
Duxford presumably as an "office" when on his tours. It was known as the "Waldorf Astoria" and was
parked near the tower; outer wing panels and most of vertical tail removed. The Mustang is their P-51B
42-106826 WW 2-seater. Woodbury also used a P-47 on his travels.
|General Woodbury's B-17, 42-30298 "Tender Tit Tillie" aka "Ragin'Red II" (379th BG 525th BS FR-M,
transf to 487th BG 837th BS 15 jul 44) The B-17 evidently kept its 379th markings until the end
designated as "4F" with the 487th which presumably means restricted flying).
Ragin’ Red II was a 525th Bomb Squadron leadship during the Autumn of 1943, Major Rohr, the Group
Operations Officer using it to head the Kimbolton formation on the second Schweinfurt mission, 14
October 1943. Retired from combat in the spring of 1944, Ragin’ Red II was used to convert B-24 pilots
on to the B-17 at Lavenham in July that year and in October it was assigned to the 67th Fighter Wing for
use as a staff aircraft. Seen Below intact. Above photo is courtesy of Nick King.